Thursday, August 15, 2024

DO I HAVE TO?

“For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.” Ephesians 5:8-10. (NKJV).


“Do I have to go to church? So boring.”

“Maybe.”

“But Grandfather, I asked the Lord Jesus into my life and know I'm going to Heaven.”

“Have a ticket, do you?”

Timmy crossed his arms and propped against his pillows.

“You know, many folks say the same thing.”

“Really? I don't have to go?” He leaned forward.

“Listen for a minute, then decide.”

Timmy bit his lip, nodded.

“Back in the old west, a gentleman went to the stagecoach ticket office.

“‘One way to San Francisco.’

“‘First, second, or third class?’ the ticket master said.

“‘What's the difference?’

 “‘First class is most expensive, the second less, and so on.’

“‘Why should I pay more? Going the same place, right?’

“‘Right. However, you'll hear the driver yell when the coach reaches the first muddy hill.

“‘All second-class passengers get out and walk. All third-class passengers get out and push. All first-class passengers sit back and enjoy the ride.’”

Timmy bit his lip. “So what are you saying?”

“You tell me.”

“I have a third-class ticket?”

Grandfather chuckled, wiggled his eyebrows. “Sorry, son, but the expression on your face..."

“Not funny.” But the corners of Timmy's mouth twitched.

“I know you're heaven-bound, son, but I want you to choose the full life the Lord offers you.”

Timmy tilted his head. “My choice?”

“Absolutely. As you offer yourself to the Lord Jesus, you’ll find joy in the most unimaginable places..."

"How is that possible?"

"Ah, the secret. The Lord Jesus is with you mightily--in all you do and say."

“I want to be acceptable to the Lord Jesus. He loves me a whole lot, huh?”

A quivering lip, a fist bump and a hug left no doubt.

Kingdom Thinking. I thought I'd have to give up so much to follow the Lord Jesus. Not so. Goodness, righteousness and truth? All wonderful. But most of all? He loves me and promises never to forsake me. He offers the same to you. Won't you come?






No comments:

Post a Comment