Thursday, August 22, 2024

THE LEAST WE CAN DO!

“Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’” Matthew 25:37-40. (NKJV).


Grandfather sipped his coffee in a booth at the Waffle House as Timmy finished his sausage and waffles.

“Look, Timmy.”

An old model station wagon chugged into the parking lot towing a U-Haul trailer. It stopped, steam escaping from under the hood. A man got out, opened the back door. Out tumbled three children. He reached inside, lifted a little girl with leg braces. She patted his face, a hand on each cheek. He stood by the vehicle, his wife joining him, a baby in her arms. They entered the restaurant, chose a booth away from the other diners.

“Would you like to do something fun?” Timmy glanced up from his waffle, and grinned.

He signaled for the waitress. “A favor, please?” She gave a quick nod. “I’d like to pay for the family seated over there.” He motioned with his head.

“Don’t know if that’s allowed. I’ll get my supervisor.” They watched as she whispered to her superior.

“Is there a problem?” she said, her eyebrows furrowed. Grandfather explained. "Sure we can do it. I’ll bring you the check as soon as they’ve ordered.”

Grandfather paid the bill and they left, much to Timmy's disappointment. “I wanted to see what they did.”

“No,” Grandfather said. “We’re sharing with those who have not. Maybe someday, they will pass it on. Kindness goes a long way.” 

“Oh, like a secret mission?” Timmy's eyes sparkled.

“Absolutely.” Grandfather chuckled. “Because we belong to the Lord Jesus, He allows us to share the joy of reaching out to others...”

“Like sowing seeds of kindness? Our Sunday school teacher talked about that.” He tilted his head. "Grandfather?"

“Yes?”

“Was that family one of the least? You know, like the Bible verse says? ‘The least of these?’”

Grandfather smiled. "My job isn't about finding the least. My job is to act when I see someone in need. A strange thing happens then..."

"Your job turns to joy?"

He chuckled. “You got that right son.” He placed his hand over his heart. “Makes my heart…”

“Sing? Mine is singing, too! Love you, Grandfather.”

“Love you more, son.” He hugged his grandson. Really tight.

Kingdom Thinking. The Lord Jesus lets us know the least deed done in His Name never goes unnoticed. Now that’s exciting. He is my supplier, my source—of life, love, and joy. Now I’m privileged to share as He directs. He promises never to leave nor forsake me. He loves me with an everlasting love. He offers the same to you. Won’t you come to Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment