Thursday, June 4, 2020

THE OVERFLOWING CUP

In Psalm 23:5-6, we read: “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”


“So why would he be excited about his cup running over? It would cause a mess.”

Grandfather chuckled. “Indeed but things are not as they appear. Let me get on with the story.”

"The guest sat at the table waiting...waiting to see the outcome of the visit. He didn’t deserve the friendship of his Host. ‘I should not have come,’ he thought. ‘But desperate times require desperate measures.’

"He remembered the many times he’d been curt, downright nasty.  He left him on the road after finding him robbed and beaten. He thought the man unclean and passed on the far side. He failed to help him on his way to the temple when he saw him begging. ‘He...what’s the use? He’ll never accept me. I don’t deserve him as a friend. If only I could undo the past.’

“Dinner over, the guest watched as his host reached for his empty cup and began to fill it, slowly but surely. A half full cup would be dismissal--no words need be spoken.

“One quarter full, half full, then overflowing. He looked up into the face of his host, saw the look of acceptance but more than that? He saw a smile start in his eyes and transform His face. The smile beamed light that filled him, including him as family.”

“Explain Grandfather. I don’t get it.”

“When the Lord Jesus came, He prepared the table before me in the presence of my enemies. He anointed my head with oil; My cup runs over. And don’t miss this. Surely, not maybe, goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

“But I know what I’ve done. I don’t feel like I’m worthy.”

“Has nothing to do with feelings, son. We’re dealing with reality here.”

Kingdom Thinking. This is not a matter of what I deserve. It's a gift, freely given from the Lord Jesus Christ. He prepares, He anoints, He fills. He promises never to leave me and love me with an everlasting love. He offers the same to you. Won’t you come to Him?




No comments:

Post a Comment