Thursday, July 5, 2018

THE RACE

In 1 Corinthians 9:24, we read: “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.”

“I’m ready, Grandfather. I’m going to win this race.”

“I’ll be right here in the stands. And son?” Timmy turned. “I’ll be praying for you.”

The big race day, July 4th, created a lot of excitement and always drew a large crowd. The runners toed the line, on their marks. At the sound of the shot, they took off.

Timmy kept abreast of the group. As he headed into the home stretch, one of the racers pushed past him, causing him to stumble, his foot twisting under him.

“Aww. I’ll never make it now.” He grabbed his ankle. "Must have sprained it.” As he struggled to stand, he felt strong arms come around him.

“Lean on me, son. We’ll get to the finish line.”

“Grandfather.” Tears filled Timmy’s eyes. “I lost the race.”

“Nope. You haven’t lost the race. That’s when you quit.  Let’s get to the finish line.”

The crowd cheered the runners as they crossed the finish line, even for Timmy and Grandfather.

“Thank you, Grandfather.” Timmy’s chin quivered, his eyes shone with love.

“We’re a family, Timmy. Always there for one another.” He tilted his head. “Sort of like the race of life. No matter which section of the race we’re in, the Lord Jesus watches over us. And when we fall? He’s there to pick us up. Sometimes He uses other members of the family.”

“Like you, Grandfather?”

“Exactly. The Lord loves you,  Timmy. He’s always there for you. That’s one prayer of mine I hope you’ll never forget.” He hugged Timmy.

Kingdom Thinking. When I realized I was in the race of life, I froze, terrified. How could I do this? Then the Lord Jesus came to my rescue. He promises never to leave nor forsake me and He loves me with an everlasting love. He offers the same to you. Won’t you come to Him?


No comments:

Post a Comment