Thursday, May 18, 2017

THE TUTOR


In Galatians 3:24-25, we read: “Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.”

“Understand?” Grandfather asked. Timmy shook his head, a puzzled look on his face.

“Our family lived in the country,” Grandfather said. “The nearest school, twenty miles away, made attending impossible. Father worked from sunup to sundown and Mother was ill at the time.”

“Wow, Grandfather. So how did you learn?”

“One evening, Father answered the door. 'Jim Andrews. You’re a sight for sore eyes. Come in.’ They were roommates at The College of Charleston.

“‘I heard you might need my help,’ Mr. Jim said.  ‘Especially with these rascals.' He ruffled my hair, then my brothers. He agreed to be our tutor.”

“Did you like him? What did he make you do?” Grandfather held up his hand.

“Mr. Jim instructed us from books but, he taught us to love nature and respect it.  He kept a tight reign on us to protect us. Especially after Michael wandered off after being told to wait for him on the back porch.

“Michael,” we called. “No answer. Everybody searched for my six year-old brother. Inside the house and outside. We were scared.  As I ran down the path to the river, I head a voice. ‘He-ooo.’ Michael’s special call. I found him standing in a small stream. grinning.

"‘Look at me. I’m fishing,’ he grinned.

“His grin disappeared when Mr. Jim ran, grabbed him. Several yards away, an alligator swam towards them. Mr. Jim put him down on the path, swatted his bottom all the way home.” Grandfather chuckled, Timmy laughed.

“Did Mr. Jim stay with you a long time?”

Grandfather nodded. “For a year, then he helped to build a school near us where he taught. That story of Michael reminds me of the tutor in Galatians. The law, our tutor, brings us to the Lord Jesus. The law protects us...”

“Like Mr. Jim did.” Grandfather nodded.

“But when we give our lives to Christ, the Lord justifies us, lives in us and through us. That doesn’t mean the law is useless, but our tutor has done his job.”

Kingdom Thinking. Even now, I have to remind myself the law brought me to the Lord Jesus. Now He teaches me all things. He promises never to leave nor forsake me. He loves me with an everlasting love. He offers the same to you. Won’t you come to Him by faith?








No comments:

Post a Comment