Thursday, August 13, 2015

THE YOKE


In Matthew 11:28-30, we read: “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”


“Look, Daddy,” she said. “The oxen are pulling the cart filled with coffee beans. Isn’t that hard for them?”

Her father knelt so they were eye level. “It’s not hard if the load is distributed. The weight has to be shared so one animal doesn’t carry too much of the burden. But,” he added. “The animals must work together so they share the load.”

“They take care of the animals, don’t they?”

“Of course. If the yoke doesn’t fit properly, the animals don’t work together well or they may be injured. That would not be good for the owner or the animals.”

“How do the animals work together?” She looked at her father. “Is one stronger than the other?”

“Possibly,” her father answered. “Or one may be the dominant one or the leader. The other follows.”

So many times in my life, I tried to be the leader and do things my way. A streak of rebellion that I inherited from Mother Eve. No matter how hard I tried, I could never seem to get things right. I was tired of it all...so tired.

Then the Lord Jesus came. He said, “Come to Me. I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you. I’ll teach you with gentleness. My yoke is easy. My burden is light.” I agreed with Him. My back wasn’t made for the burdens I had placed on it. Now He is leading. He is in control. The yoke fits.

Kingdom Thinking. The Lord Jesus says the same to you. He has promised never to unyoke Himself from you. He will never leave nor forsake you. And love. His love is everlasting. So if you are tired and heavy laden, come to Jesus. He waits for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment