Thursday, January 3, 2019

YOUR CHOICE

In Joshua 24:15, we read: “And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the god of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

“Grandfather, we had the best lesson ever. Our Sunday School teacher taught us about choice.”

Grandfather lowered his paper. “Tell me about it.

“Miss Minna had three cups on a silver tray. A white china cup and saucer decorated with gold, a white mug decorated with blue flowers and a battered tin cup. She held each one up for us to see the outside. Then she poured clean water from a crystal pitcher into each cup.

“Now. I want each of you to choose your cup,” she said.

“The china cup and saucer decorated in gold was first choice. Second, the mug with blue flowers. Last choice, the battered tin cup.

“Look what you chose,” she said, as she held the cup and saucer trimmed in gold for the children to see inside. The outside was beautiful but inside? Mud covered the bottom. Next she held the blue-flowered mug for them to see. Coffee grounds tainted the water. Last she held the battered tin cup, filled with sparkling clean water. The last choice became first.”

“Grandfather’s paper slipped to the floor, elbows on his knees, he said. “So. What did you learn?”

Timmy thought for a minute. “I guess everything’s a choice. When I don’t choose something, I’ve made a choice. Miss Minna said nothing was wrong with the cups. The stuff on the inside made it clean or dirty."

“You’re right. It depends on what we put inside that makes us who we are. But because I choose right things doesn’t make me clean. When I realized the Lord Jesus knew all the stuff in my cup and loved me in spite of it, I chose to give my cup to Him. He cleans my cup and fills me with clean living water. I don’t deserve it but He does it because He loves me.”

“He love me like that, too?” Grandfather nodded and pulled his grandson into a bear hug.

Kingdom Thinking. In this journey of life, choices confront us constantly. But the most important choice for now and eternity is to choose the Lord Jesus Christ. He alone is worthy and able to cleanse us from our sins. He will never leave you nor forsake you. He loves you. Won’t you come to Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment