Thursday, November 1, 2018

THE RAT ROOM

In John 8:31-32, we read: “Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, ‘If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.’”

“Imagine the largest, meanest rats you can think of--long teeth and red eyes. They lived in the bedroom at the top of the stairs.”

“Grandfather, that sounds like a scary movie.” Timmy snickered.

“When John and I visited our grandparent's home,” Grandfather continued, “We’d reach the top of the stairs, then run to our room at the end of the hall.”

“How old were you guys?” Timmy said. Grandfather grinned.

“We were ten years old. We'd heard about the rat room all our lives.” Grandfather whispered, “The door stayed closed. No one went in that room.” He cocked his head. “One day we decided to find out if the story was true.

“Rain kept us inside and we were bored. We waited until the grownups were downstairs in the den. “On the count of three,” John said. “I opened the door and we sneaked into the room.

“The door slammed causing us to jump. Drawn shades kept the room in shadows except for the flashes of lightning followed by growls of thunder. Shelves held boxes and a trunk was tucked in the corner. On the trunk was a large cage.”

“A cage of rats?” Timmy leaned forward.

“Nope. Empty. Shoulders slumped, we thought we’d slip back out. Nobody would know we’d been there. As we opened the door, Uncle Joe leaned against the wall, his arms crossed.”

“Find anything interesting?" He said. “Know how the room got it’s name? My sister received a gift of white mice from her boyfriend. They kept escaping from their cage so she gave them back,” he said, lips twitching.

“But Grandfather, I thought...”

“I know. I wanted to show you how incorrect information affects us. John and I nearly broke our necks running by the rat room before we learned the truth. We need to know the truth. Only then can we be free. That’s what our Lord tells us in His word.”

Kingdom Thinking. As a follower of the Lord Jesus, He promises me truth for He is Truth. He loves me with an everlasting love and will never leave nor forsake me. He offers the same to you. Won’t you come?






No comments:

Post a Comment