Thursday, June 14, 2018

THE PROMISE

In Galatians 3:13-14, we read: “Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, ‘Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree’), that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.”



“What’s wrong?” Grandfather asked. Timmy plopped down at the kitchen table. “Here’s your sandwich.”

“I’m not hungry.” He pushed the plate towards the center of the table.

“Want to tell me about it?” Elbows on the table, Timmy fisted his hands.

“I’ll never amount to anything.” His forehead rested on his fists.

“Sam yelled it. When I struck out. With the bases loaded.”

“Hmm. Can’t help you there. But I can tell you one thing. We all fail. I guess you got caught in the curse of the law.”

“What’s that mean?” Timmy’s head snapped up.

“Have rules in baseball?” He nodded. “What happens when you break those rules?” Timmy’s lips thinned. “Do the rules apply to everyone or just you?” Timmy chewed on his bottom lip.

“Son, we have laws to follow. The laws are not bad. Problem is? We can’t follow them all the time.”

“What are we going to do?”

“Well, Timmy. When we fail, we’re separated. Sometimes deserve to die, or hang on a tree. But the Lord Jesus came. He died on the cross for me. For you. He took my curse on Himself so I might be blessed.”

“What’s that got to do with baseball, Grandfather?”

“Plan to play another game?” Timmy nodded. “But you said you’d never amount to anything.”

“If I”m not cursed, I’ll try again.” Timmy grinned. Grandfather chuckled, gave him a high five.

Kingdom Thinking. According to the law, I’m required to live a perfect life. I failed. Big time. But the Lord Jesus came, died on the cross, so I could receive the promise of the Spirit, be set free. He loves me with an everlasting love and promises never to leave me. He offers the same to you. Won’t you come?



No comments:

Post a Comment