Thursday, March 22, 2018

THE INCIDENT

In 1 John 2:1, we read: “My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.”

“Timmy, would you get the door?” Timmy’s shoulders slumped as he shuffled to the door.

“Your grandfather at home?” Timmy opened the door wide for the policeman to come in. “Guess you know why I’m here.”

“Yes sir.”

“Jacob. Good to see you. Come in and have a cup of coffee.” At his nod, Grandfather took cups down from the kitchen cupboard, poured the coffee. “Not a social visit?”

“Nope. Had a little incident at Mr. Snyder’s grocery this morning. Some boys took liberties...”

“Timmy, too?” The officer nodded. Grandfather sighed. “What’s Snyder want me to do?”

The officer’s blue eyes twinkled. “He knows Timmy and he trusts you. He said you’ll do the right thing.” The officer stood. “Thanks for the coffee. I’ll let myself out.”

“Timmy?” He walked in, eyes downcast. “Understand there was a problem at Snyder’s grocery.” Timmy nodded. “Need you to look me in the eye, son. Thank you. That’s better.” He pulled out a kitchen chair. “Sit. Tell me what happened.” He listened to Timmy’s story.

“You didn’t want to disappoint your friends? The point is, you did wrong.” Grandfather glanced around the room. “Where’re your friends now?” Grandfather took a deep breath.

“Timmy, you confessed your sin to me but that’s not enough, is it?” Timmy shook his head. “We have to make it right.”

“We? But Grandfather, I’m the guilty one.”

“Right. But you belong to me. Let’s go have a talk with Mr. Snyder. If you’re truly sorry, maybe he’ll forgive the deed by having you work for him to cover the damages.”

Timmy threw his arms around Grandfather’s neck. “Thank you. I’ll never do it again.”

Kingdom Thinking. Being a sinner, I sin. The Lord Jesus knows and agrees sin must be dealt with. I belong to Him, the righteous One. Being righteous, He paid for my sin. He is my Advocate with the Father. He guides me the way I should go. Do you have an Advocate? He loves you and waits for you.









No comments:

Post a Comment