Thursday, June 9, 2016

THE GIFT OF COMPASSION

In Lamentations 3:22-24, we read: “Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your Faithfulness. ‘The Lord is my potion,’ says my soul, ‘Therefore I hope in Him!’”

She clung to her small son, holding him close to her heart. “I can’t believe Daddy’s gone,” she whispered. The little guy looked up at her, snuggled into her arms. She watched as attendants opened the door, preparing for the passengers to deplane using the stairs rolled to the doorway.

She gathered their belongings, opting to be last to deplane. The mild weather when she left did not prepare her for the now swirling snow. She stood at the open door as flakes fluttered against her hair, her skin, her clothes before melting. She shivered as her son reached out to grab a snowflake, enthralled with the beauty.

“Careful, ma’am,” the captain said. “Steps can be slippery in this weather.” She nodded her thanks.

With thin coat wrapped around the two of them, she made her way down the steps. She heard her name as she stepped onto the tarmac. She looked up. Her pastor was running towards her, removing his overcoat.

“Here,” he said, as he wrapped them in his coat. He took one of her bags and with umbrella held high, he led them to the receiving area. “I’m so sorry for your loss. I’ll get you home.”

Many times in my life, I’ve felt hopeless. I look around at the bleakness and despair. “Wait,” I have to tell myself. “You know ’Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning.’ He if Faithful and He is Great and He is my potion. My hope is in Him.” It is not easy for me to put my hope in Him. I want to help Him out. Just in case He doesn’t follow through. (Did I really confess that?)

Yet, every time I thought I would be consumed with grief, with anger, with self pity, He has not failed. He promises to love me with an everlasting love. He will never leave nor forsake me.

Kingdom Thinking. He has promised the same to you. His compassions will not fail you. He loves you and He stands with arms open, waiting to wrap you in His Love. Won’t you come to Him?





No comments:

Post a Comment