Thursday, August 24, 2017

TOO HEAVY TO FLY


In 1 John 1:8-9, we read: “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

“But you don’t understand, Grandfather. I’m not as bad as Derek. He...”

“Wait,” Timmy.” Grandfather held up his hand. “Let me see if I have this right. You didn’t carry the garbage to the compost bin. You didn’t make your bed. But you’re telling me this other boy...”

“Derek.”

“Yes, Derek. You believe his sins are heavier than yours?” Timmy tilted his head.  “See that steel pipe by the tree? What would you say if I told you that pipe could fly?”

“No way, Grandfather. Everybody knows it’s too heavy to fly.”

“It depends on the law in effect. I agree with you, the law of gravity makes us think steel can’t fly. But, if we apply the law of aerodynamics, shape the steel correctly, steel can fly. Look up.” They watched a plane pass overhead.

“The truth is, we are sinners. So the law of sin and death applies to all of us. Unless we realize the truth. If we confess our sins, the Lord Jesus forgives our sin and makes us so clean, we’re like new. The law of grace is more powerful than the law of sin and death.”

“We get to fly?” Grandfather smiled.

“Absolutely. The law of grace sets us free.” He paused. “Where’re you going?”

“To tell Derek about sin and airplanes.” Grandfather shook his head, a smile on his face.

Kingdom Thinking. For years, I put sin in categories. This one’s not too bad. That one, unforgivable. Then one day, the Lord Jesus came. He showed me sin separates me from Him. Then, in that dark moment of separation, He offered me grace. His grace. He paid for my sins and washed me clean. His grace trumps sin. He offers His grace to you. Won’t you come?

No comments:

Post a Comment