Thursday, August 17, 2017

THE SELFISH SERVANT


In Matthew 18:31-33, we read: “So when his fellow servants saw what had been done, they were very grieved, and came and told their master all that had been done. Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?’”

“After the master forgave the servant his debt of millions of dollars, he didn't forgive his fellow servant a few dollars? That’s selfish.”

“Ah, Timmy. That’s one of the problems of the ages. When we watch someone else, we see clearly.”

“Johnny’s calling me. We’re playing with my model airplanes.”

An hour later, “I’m leaving. You’re selfish.” Grandfather walked onto the back porch. “What’s going on?”

“Johnny went home.”

“I can see that. Why?” He sat on the back steps.

“Johnny called me selfish. But I need the money I loaned him to buy another plane.”

“How much did you pay for those?” He pointed to the six planes lined up on the dirt runway.

Timmy dipped his head, mumbled. “Nothing. You bought them for me.”

“Come sit by me, son.” Timmy swiped the tears welling in his eyes.

“Am I selfish like the servant we read about?”

“All of us are born into this world selfish.”

“You, too, Grandfather?” He nodded, grinned at Timmy’s look of surprise.

“We all need a savior, Timmy. So God sent His Son, the Lord Jesus, to pay for our sins.”

Timmy picked up his favorite plane. “Will you go with me to see Johnny?”  Grandfather smiled.

“Let’s go.”

Kingdom Thinking.  I came into this world, fists clinched--selfish. When I realized The Lord Jesus came into the world to save me from my selfish sinful ways, I gave my life to Him. He promises never to leave nor forsake me. He loves me with an everlasting love. He offers the same to you. Won’t you come?


No comments:

Post a Comment