Thursday, September 14, 2017

THE PRIZE

In 1 Corinthians 9:24, we read: “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.”

“Sure you want to enter this race, Timmy? The competition will be tough.”

“I’m sure, Grandfather. Coach said this would be good experience for me.

“I have four weeks to practice. Will you time me? I’ll run in the field behind the garden.” And so as Timmy ran, Grandfather timed him with his stopwatch.

Three weeks later, Grandfather sat with Timmy at the breakfast table. “I’m proud of you, son. You’ve worked hard and you’ve come a long way. You'll do well.”

“You think I can win the prize?”

“Well, anything is possible. But you’re one of ten boys running in this race. Not everyone can win the prize but everyone can be a winner.”

The day of the race dawned fair. “Come on, Grandfather. Time to get going.”


“Had your breakfast? Didn’t think so. Eat, then we’ll get to the track for your warm up.”

At the track, Grandfather said. “Keep you hands turned in, arms relaxed--you okay?”

“Yessir, but my stomach's kind of squirmy.” Grandfather put his arm around Timmy.

The whistle blew and the runners started around the track. In good form, they were running well. Timmy led, but as he made the last turn, he saw Johnny stumble, hit the ground. He jogged back to him.

“My ankle,” Johnny said. “I twisted it.”

“Put your arm around my shoulder.” They walked from the track, the crowd applauding.

Grandfather came to help. “You didn’t win the race, Timmy, but you are a winner.”

Kingdom Thinking. Many times I’ve had my eye on a prize...my dreams, hopes, and aspirations. In this race of life, it’s not about winning but about being a winner. The Lord Jesus promises never to leave nor forsake me. He loves me with an everlasting love. He promises the same to you in the race of life. Won’t you come to Him? He waits for you.





No comments:

Post a Comment